SAHA INSTITUTE OF NUCLEAR PHYSICS
Department of Atomic Energy, Govt. of India
Webmail Member Search A+ A A-
Log in
administration

Right to Information Act' 2005


1. Click here for Monthly Report

2. Click here for Quarterly Report

3. Click here for Annual Report (2008-09)

4. Click here for Annual Report (2009-10)

5. Click here for RTI ACT

 6. Office Order No.SINP/O.O./R.O./ dt. 10.11.2016

INFORMATION UNDER SECTION 4(1)(b) OF THE ACT

 

4(1)(b)

(i)

The particulars of its organization, functions and duties                                                                                       

The Institute grew out of the Palit Research Laboratory in Physics of the University of Calcutta (CU). Professor M N Saha came back from Allahabad in 1938 to succeed Prof D M Bose in the Palit Chair of Physics. In the discovery of Nuclear Fission by Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassman in 1939, he had seen immense potential of nuclear science for betterment of the country. By 1940 he had had the syllabus of the Post-Graduate Physics reorganised to include Nuclear Physics in the Physics curriculum. Multifarious experiments in Nuclear Physics and instrumentation had started in his laboratory. Soon a small-scale cyclotron was felt necessary for gaining a first-hand knowledge in this virgin field.  He decided to have it built here rather than buying one. Thanks to Jawaharlal Nehru's help and Dorabji Tata's generosity, fund was soon available for procurement of parts of the machine. Courtesy to the University a piece of land became available within the University College of Science campus in Rajabazar at 92 Upper Circular Road (now known asAcharya Prafulla Chandra Road) for erecting a building to house the machine. In fact, the laboratory was already too small to contain the spate of activity.

   Soon after laying of the Foundation Stone for the building by DrSyamaprasad Mookerjee the Institute of Nuclear Physics was founded. The year is 1949. When the building was formally inaugurated by Madame Irene Joliot-Curie on 11 January 1950, a date now accepted as the Foundation Day, the Institute was fully functional.

    Foundation stone for a students' Hall, on a piece of land just behind the campus was laid by K D Malavya in early January, 1956. A few days later, on 16th February Professor Saha passed away. Some time after this the Institute was renamed as Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics.

   The Biophysics group in the Palit Laboratory had moved in the new building as soon as it was complete. It soon became a Division and called for a separate building to which it moved out in 1964. It is located in the northern part of the city of Kolkata called Belgachia.

     The Institute shifted to its new building in  Bidhannagar in the late eighties. The Biophysics Division is to join the main campus in Bidhannagarvery soon. Basic research is carried out in frontline areas of Physical, Electronic and Biophysical sciences. Such activity is coordinated by six research groups in the academia . Academia also entails a Teaching Section.

   At present the Institute has about 125 faculty members, 20 post-doctoral fellows and 80 graduate students. The total staff strength is about 650.

Status

Initially a part of the University of Calcutta, the Institute was accorded autonomy in 1951. Since then a Governing Body (Council from 1972), chaired by the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Calcutta and having representatives from the University of Calcutta, the Union Government and the Government of West Bengal,  was in the management until 1992 when this tripartite agreement came to an end. The Institute entered a  contractwith the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India by which SINP retains its autonomy with the administrative control now passing on to the DAE. It has the recognition of the University of Calcutta as a Centre for conducting research for doctoral degrees and providing facilities for teaching and research in Physical and Biological Sciences.  The Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission, India (and Secretary, DAE, Govt of India) chairs the governing council with members comprising three scientists nominated by the DAE, two representatives of the DAE, two nominees of CU, one nominee of Govt. of West Bengal and the Director of the Institute.

 

 

(ii)

The powers and duties of its officers and employees

click for details

 

 

(iii)

The Procedure followed in the decision making process, including channels of supervision and accountability:

click for details

 

 

(iv)

The norms set by it for the discharge of its functions :

As per the procedure prescribed under Bye Laws  of this Institute

 

 

(v)

The rules, regulations, instructions, manuals and records, held by it or under its control or used by its employees for discharging its functions:

  Bye Laws of the Institute

 

 

(vi)

A statement of the categories of documents that are held by it or under its control:

The files on the subject matters dealt with in each section and maintained as per Bye Laws of the Institute. Annual Reports and Academic Reports are published by the Publication Division of the Institute.

 

 

(vii)

The particulars of any arrangement that exists for consultation with, or representation by, the members of the public in relation to the formulation of its policy or implementation thereof:

NIL

 

 

(viii)

A statement of the boards, councils, committees and other bodies consisting of two or more persons constituted as its part or for the purpose of its advice, and as to whether meetings of those boards, councils, committees and other bodies are open to the public, or the minutes of such meetings are accessible for public:

Minutes of Council meeting are not accessible for public

 

(ix)

A directory of its officers and employees:

Click for details

 

 

(x)

The monthly remuneration received by each of its officers and employees, including the system of compensation as provided in its regulations:

Click for details

 

 

(xi)

The budget allocated to each of its agency, indicating the particulars of all plans, proposed expenditures and reports on disbursements made:

(Rs. in crore)

Budget Estimates 2009-10

Revised Estimates 2009-10

Plan

Non Plan

Total

Plan

Non Plan

Total

60.00

51.16

111.16

82.25

52.67

134.92

 

(xii)

The manner of execution of subsidy programmes, including the amounts allocated and the details of beneficiaries of such programmes:

There are no subsidy programmes undertaken by SINP

 

 

(xiii)

Particulars of recipients of concessions, permits or authorizations granted by it:

In the matter of recruitment/promotion, the concessions in age/standard of passing examinations are allowed as per the Government policy.

 

 

(xiv)

Details in respect of the information, available to or held by it, reduced in an electronic form:

Additional information is available in the other parts of this website.

 

 

(xv)

The particulars of facilities available to citizens for obtaining information, including the working hours of a library or reading room, if maintained for public use:

By making a request to the PIO

Library & reading room are not for public use.

 

 

(xvi)

The names, designations and other particulars of the Public Information Officers:

Appellate Authority

Mr. Anirban Banerjee,
Registrar, SINP (Room No-417, Extn-1417)

Central Public Information Officer

Sri Niladri Sanyal,
Dy. Controller of Accounts, SINP (Room No.418, Extn.-1418)

 

 

 

 

 

Last Updated on Thursday, 17 November 2016 17:16
Copyright © 2017 Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics. All Rights Reserved. Designed & Developed by UCDS